Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Let me hear your body talk...wait, that sounds weird.





Okay, NOT that I'm an expert, but I DO have an opinion- shocker, I know.

I came across this layout in vogue that shows models and their BFs and asks them what will they do for Valentine's Day, etc.

Here's two photos:

To me, I could immediately see the difference in how Asians act in relationships by their body language. It was SUPER obvious to me now that I've been here nine months.

The Asian man (like the men I've dated) is intertwined unabashedly with his woman, with the very romantic interlaced fingers. Also note that she has her hand upturned and his fingers are on top of her hand (this is the way my ex used to hold my hand. He would run his hand down my arm to turn it palm up and then lace his fingers (very tightly) through mine.) , and that they are "showing" this hand holding by putting it at shoulder height. Even his leg leans towards hers, they are a unit.

but notice the very strong, protective, and paternal grip he has on her arm with his other hand. I guarantee he just got done gently positioning her.

Also notice how she relates to him, with the "pigeon-toed" little girl stance. He's also very proud of her, almost showing her off. This is all TOTALLY par for the course over here.


The Americans:

Notice how he's relaxed and you don't even see him touching her. His one hand is grounding himself in his pants pocket (he's too cool for cuddling). She leans on him, arms around him and "claiming " hands on his chest. They're also laughing together, something that's very important to their self image as a couple- they could almost be two friends at a barbeque.

Generalization? Yes, but it comes from my own experiences here. I was stunned to see those photos. The one could have been me and my most recent ex, the Americans almost exactly duplicates a photo I have of me and my ex from high school (an American).

I just wanted to share that with y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment