Sunday, October 16, 2011

I was thinking of ways I could get inside


The day was clean, warm, and breezy. It was 9 AM, and I was at the Maharajah Hotel, where I had retired to leave the bachelor pad to Erwin and his girlfriend, who was in town for the night. The website had me at "60's boutique hotel". It was totally deserted, except for me and Wills, who I brought with me, since we all know a stay-cation is much more fun if you bring a stowaway.

The lobby was large, dim and warm, with a swirling black iron Gothic chandelier, zebra print leather chairs and white couches (kind of Kelly Wearstler Lite), a balcony level, a circular indoor garden- *very* 60's. The room we got was inches from the pool, which was lovely. Turquoise, with slightly faded tiles and tatty poolside furniture (looked like it hadn't been changed since 1965), and a tiny little plunge pool off to the side, it was secluded, and eerie, while being beautiful at the same time. It was Anne Bancroft in Great Expectations- super glamourous, sad, faded, iconic, deep, and everything you want in a Third World Eden. The landscaping was lovely- deep emeralds, the hot pinkish red of flowers and new palm bark growing up to the old- the sun glancing off everything, making it sparkle and hold still, shimmering in the heat.

Several cool pix on this link:

http://www.asiarooms.com/en/philippines/pampanga/181861-maharajah-hotel-gallery.html

We dropped our things and had a swim in the late afternoon, then dinner at a Mexican joint up the street, then watched the fortuitously timed Charlie's Angels- Full Throttle, then sleep.

The next day was a mix of sun and clouds that resolved itself to sun, and I got some sun while Wills got some shade, as he wanted to avoid getting darker. (Kind of a lost cause, since his skin is already espresso dark), and we carried on a high volume conversation about our favorite Tim Burton movies (the atmosphere fairly cried out for such topics). Even the towels were super chic- white, rough (the way I like towels to be) with a faded, preppy laundry stamp in true red- a circular design of the iconic "M" that makes up the first letter of the hotel's name. So cool, really wanted to buy some.

Breakfast was fresh, if a bit bland, and then all too soon it was time to leave- but hoping to come back soon.

So nice. Loved it. This was the reason I came here- the place was laughably cheap, and I could never do stuff like this at home. Tropical vacation is literally up the street here- every other weekend I could go "spa day" for the day and never leave my home town.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful!! Winter is starting to creep in, it's been so damp and chilly here lately:( Miss you, hope we can catch up soon! Love!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete