Sunday, July 15, 2012

Global Warming

Yesterday was a big success, with some qualifications.



I woke up early for once, at 7 AM, allowing me to finally take a peek at this hip little resto called Apt 1B that I had been wanting to try since moving here.It's not open on Sunday, and I'm never awake before it closes at 11 AM on a Sat. It only really serves breakfast. Well, it was worth the early wake up call! Charming and reasonably priced, with good food served quickly and excellent service, it just might be my new early bird special spot.

Then it was off to get my nails done and then meet a new friend from the DinnerNations event, Rena, for lunch and some shopping. Rena and I went to a Greek place called Cyma, in Eastwood, and had a lovely chat and some shopping. After scaring me by admitting that she had literally gained 100 pounds after moving back to the Philippines from the US, most of which was gained in food heaven Manila, she promised to take me to all the good food places. Hello Spanx!

Then home to disco nap, and off to InterNations event 3! Held at Enderun College in Taguig, it was a supposedly french themed event (MC'd by a French lady), but really the only thing french about it that I could discern was the wine, of which there was plenty. I met August (Risky Business, as you may know him)    who called me from his dinner to grill me about what to wear.

 He was wondering: should be go ahead and bring his 100 pound wire frame camping back pack or was that a no? (He was having dinner with a mountaineering group that had just finished a climbing orientation). I gently discouraged him, pointing out that last time there was an after-party, and he would most likely want to be foot loose and fancy free. (Upon arrival at the very fancy cocktail party, he sort of broke my heart by remarking that he was really glad he left his climbing gear with his friends, as it would indeed have been very awkward. So lovable when his sneaker isn't so far in his mouth he could tie his shoelaces with his teeth)

We mingled, me wearing a very cool sculptural dress I got a few months back on a trip to Manila when I was still living in Clark. It's hard to describe, but it has a kind of Paquin 1920's flare and hobble skirt ish look- it's loose with almost wings of material through the hips and legs, then nips in with hidden elastic under the knee. You can make it shorter or longer, by just scooting up the elastic. It sounds odd, but it's very "Asia" so I like it. I was also wearing high, high heels, which made my feet burn, but eh, it's all for beauty, right?

Once again, August was a modest hit, being flirted with by aging hippie gay guys (wasn't even aware there was such), and when I saw August, with his long wavy hair over his shoulder, looking like the girl from Ipenema, being button-holed by a stout little character in a tie dyed shirt and Lennon glasses, I had to smile. August said later that he's not sure why he's such a magnet for gay men, is it the hair? I didn't tell him that when I first saw him, I thought "My god, that boy is a beautiful as a woman!". He has a small little heart shaped face and I really would be shocked if he even weighs 120 pounds with said climbing gear loaded on his skinny little body. He has a distinct feminine cast without being mincing, he's just a lovely object to look at, and men really respond to that. Anyway, he was okay with it, and I told him "maybe they're just thinking 'hey, here's a guy with long hair, he must be kind of an outsider, like me, a gay hippie. They're just noticing you're tolerant."

After the party wound down a bit, August took me to visit his climbing pal who was in the hospital after a bike accident. There's no visiting hours in the Philippines, so we cabbed it over there and joined a party that was in this girl's room. There was about 6 other people there, playing Pictionary on the white board that nurses use for notes on the wall. Of course I dived right in and was even able to use local movies (hello Moron 5!) as my clues. I think I was a big hit, as everybody seemed to enjoy my 3 words of Tagalog.

 I heard August remarking "Wow, they give you some room so people can crash here!" and I knew right away it was Filipino Nap Time. Filipino naps can occur for anything from 1-60 minutes, on any surface that is more than 12 inches square. Laying down is not needed. I have seen people sleeping at their desk at work, on the jeepney, on the saddle of their motorcycle, on a 2 inch wide ledge, on a piece of cardboard, in a field during lunch hour, and so on. If there is a few feet of unoccupied space, as soon as a slightly tired Filipino cottons to it, it's now Filipino Nap Time. August was out like a light sleeping on the counter top/ window ledge that ran the length of the far wall, occasionally opening his eyes to make sure I was okay, while still being in hog heaven that there was such an awesomely comfy nap spot just for him! Filipinos are cats, basically.

We managed to rouse him and the group took off, but not before giving the very sweet little gay dude nurse a rousing welcome: "HI JC!" they chorused when he came in to give medicines and take the temps and all. It was clear JC was well known to this crowd. I was really touched by the big turn out and how upbeat and sweet everyone was to their injured friend. (She just had some broken hand bones, it wasn't like, super awful). It was a stand out experience, and I'm really glad I went.

Then August took me to his down home spot, where he just goes when he wants to drink and be cool. It was a little hole in the wall with a few couches and a wooden bar. We got food and settled in to have a nice long talk, and in walks this Russel Brand character- a very unlikely but obviously successful ladies man. Tall, skeletally thin, pale, with long spider fingers and a long, rubbery face, I thought "Wow, I would take that guy home in 2 seconds flat". "It" radiated from every pore of this guy's body. He just effortlessly charmed the whole room.He was aloof, intelligent, responsive, dangerous, and sexy. August, who is innocent, raw, childish, and beautiful like a naughty little elf, and who has no idea how to handle himself, was aflame with jealousy, and was telling me how this guy could get any girls number "without even TRYING!" I laughed.

I was not surprised at all. I explained that most women, myself included, have been HOUNDED by men every day, relentlessly, since they were about 13 years old, for sex. So when a man with unusual looks and a glint of intelligence in his eyes just sits there looking hot and aloof, women go crazy for it. And a man who knows how to dress is sending women a signal "I'm a good lover because I pay attention to detail." August was nodding and laughing,but since his love life consists of women landing on him like a piano and him saying "sure, why not" he won't ever really use this advice.

When I was teasing August about his Filipino Nap Time later in the conversation, this guy (who's name is Hank, as if he needed any more pluses, being named after one of the coolest charmers on TV: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0904208/-- Californication) casually teased me, picking up the hook of the conversation and throwing it back in a playful, slightly edgy way. Had to hand it to him. He was a pro. But mama didn't raise no fool, I don't disrespect the guy who brought me by flirting with another guy, even if it's not a date, and I was on the fence if I wanted "something" to maybe happen with Au at the end of the night, so it was Au or nothing. 


For once in his life, a woman is choosing (at least mentally) him over Hank, and Au is oblivious (or doesn't want it, but let's go for the ego salve that he was clueless or unsure of his position, since he seemed to be edging into flirtation a few times, only to scamper back over the line to "friends only" and watch me with those slanted cat eyes of his, like a kitten watches your hands when you type, "Is this trouble or can I play with it?")


So the night ended with just a beso beso and him putting me in a cab, which is okaaayyyy since I wasn't up for the full banana anyway, but I texted Eric, the 3rd member of our little group (it was a high moment when Au also identified us three as a group during our long talk at the bar, agreeing that we were our own little clique- it just feels good to have someone reaffirm your own perceptions, especially of friendship) saying "So Lovesick. I feel like I did everything wrong, somehow." I mean, love is the wrong word, but the night was so ripe with romance and possibility and good old Au either didn't feel it, didn't want it, or was too nervous to pull the trigger. 

You know, it's not that I like this guy soooo much, it's just that I enjoy being with him, he's cute, and I wouldn't object to trying it out. But he's either looking for some other kind of girl, or I dunno, it's not quite there for him, or something. A little heartbreak, but honestly, I love our friendship so much, it's only a little break in a big warm hug of friends. And friends last a longer time anyway.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that until you believe it.
















No comments:

Post a Comment