Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Looking Glass




My Dearest Penelope:

I know it has been a long time since my last missive, but ink and paper of a quality I would send to my lady love are in short supply here, so you must content yourself with my last letter and my photograph---although how I wish I had been able to smile at you as the photographer made the print!

Well, my dearest, the weather here is nothing short of a miracle, balmy and breezy. As I stroll the promenade on the Bay of Manila I can only wish that you were here to see it all. The very creamiest of the cream of society is all here, taking in the sights as they cruise the South Seas. Cafes, restaurants serving the freshest, most succulent seafood, and of course shops that have the most exquisite fabrics to tempt even the most jaded seamstress to spend every centivo in her purse---everything is here. Anything a man could desire or dream is all spread out, under the gently waving palms.

Small brown children scamper between the white clad ladies, carrying baskets of mangoes and coconut juice for sale, and vendors sing out their wares in the lilting, melodic local tongues--so different from our broad American tones and blended words.

The American military walks around like so many red coated flamingos, girls flirting with them but of course never daring to do more than peer around the lace edge of the skin- protecting parasol carried by their duenna; for fear they will "lose everything"--if a man were so to much as touch their bare wrist shame would come to the whole family.

On our days off Hensely and I take long walks in the coffee and rice plantations that his family owns, or play cards at the Admirals Club, the rough, sweet local rum served with generous handfuls of mint and a whisper of soda. The whole afternoon can pass this way, as we play Pusoy, watching the coolies in the fields, it's often too hot for even conversation.

There are few other women here, so for now my dear I think it's best for you to stay in our beloved New York until perhaps I can find a proper home for us. But know each day in this sun drenched paradise is not quite perfect until I can hold you in my arms my beloved.

My everlasting Love, Phillips Exeter, American Businessman stationed in Manila, 1901.

1 comment: