Wednesday, November 10, 2010

first week musings

Just got back from "hypermarket"- a mind bending experience for even the most hardened shopper! I got the basics for another 4 days or so- "bread pan", which is this bread cracker thingie kind of like bagel chips, that is so good, yogurt, tobleron ( so cheap), soap, and shampoo.
Western Union can probably walk you through the security protocols, if need be.

Work is going well- I'm paired with the senior communications analyst, a college educated engineer named Nikki ( male), who is a great teacher and showed me all the evaluation forms for the candidates and the coaching tools we use here. I'm also designing the "maps" for how service calls go- how we can make agents more confident in guiding customers through the processes rather than getting lost in the woods together (which is what happens now).

Despite being culturally the loudest people on earth, get them on the phone with Anglos and Pinoy melt into mice, barely whispering out their script. They are painfully sincere, and as we listed to the "mock calls" more than one person was ready to cry and I heard them tell their instructor "I'm so sorry to disappoint you, Froi!! I got nervous". Having Eric the Red looming over them listening to their practice probably didn't help!!

I went to the drugstore for allergy medicine and was overwhelmed with the noise, heat, and pollution- it is beautiful yet dizzying. So far I've only taken a few pictures but I can't load them onto this public computer, so it may be awhile.

Let's see...oh, Nikki told me that Filipinos don't use indicative case, they instead indicate direction with a moue!!! He demonstrated by making a moue (a mouth like a kiss but with no sound) in the direction that he wanted to point!!! My other CA, Jessica, when asked what she thought the hurdle was for learning better English for the reps "ummm....de interest just idn't dere" (super soft, sing song melody voice) HAR!!! HAR!!!

A typical day involved wrangling with the 8600 security guards, checking my email, sitting in on training classes, making materials, running all over campus, about 6 nescafes (they LOVE their nescafe over here) for a quarter each, and reading up on all the training materials currently given out. I don't have any real set tasks, since I'm still getting used to it, and my boss has been off site and opposite schedule, so me and Nikki spent yesterday slowwwwlllyyy walking to topaz training room, then slowwwlllyyyy walking to the cigarette huts (everyone puffs away like it's there last day on earth over here, and cigarettes are sold by the 2's, the 10's and the pack- they come in little pouches like single serve coffees!!! They also sell "loose" cigs for about a penny each, but not me!! Don't panic.

Seeing Nikki complain about being short of breath in between drags was funny , tho) then slowwwlllyyy eating a pizza thing, etc. We did do work, in between gossiping about grammar errors and other snafus that reps make.
It's getting a little easier for me to see the (to me) subtle distinctions between facial types, and it helps that I watch Pinoy MTV as I'm getting ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment