Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I meet Ryan

Well, I'm finishing my shift for the week of the second week this am at 7. I've been working on a project to help agents identify and troubleshoot the biggest "dissatisfaction" warning signs- verbal, non verbal, situational, and self inflicted. I've been working with Nikki on it: I generate the content and he organizes it and illustrates it.

We finally figured out a way to work off one master document so we're saving that and sending it back and forth. I've been on a conference call with the guy who runs the call center (s), and I made a new friend (?)- Ryan, an Indian.

As I'm headed out to the car two days ago, the tallest, thinnest Indian I've ever seen jumps out of his chair and springs to life. Naomi? he asks.
Turns out I met him the fateful night I went out with the westerners, and also Ryan knows Shah, the Project Manager, and my bosses boss.
Ryan works for the amazon project, is exquisitely dressed and groomed, and has dark, dark skin and jet black hair.
Ryan proceeds to fall all over himself to offer me "kick ass" pictures of jeepnys when he sees my try to take a picture of one that was labeled "paratroopers", advise me on apartment hunting, and ask me to coffee. I think, to be honest, this was all in the realm of "flirting" but it had that deadly serious quality so many foreigners do. So we went to breakfast yesterday and it was nice- he'll compliment me but he knows the line and doesn't cross it.
Anyhow, he's going back to Mumbai in a month, so it can't get too entangled!

It's hard for me to really make up my mind about him, since he's the only man (besides jerks on motorbikes who whistle at everyone) who's even acted like I was alive, so his attractiveness goes up significantly. He's also handsome "for an Indian" (which is terrible to say, but he's more on the Jaffar side than the Emperor side- thin, ascetic features, not the portly cherub features), but he's a little bossy. So, I think "just friends" for now, probably for good, I have to say.

However, we did compare notes, and you'll be interested to know that my general anxiety level since coming here has dropped about 85%. Ryan reports the same and advises me to "live it up". I think it's a lack of possessions? Also, there's an Edenic feel to this place- it's ancient and removed, you can't feel the layers of time like you can in America, where I know the markers of different eras- it's all "now".

No comments:

Post a Comment