Wednesday, November 10, 2010

letters to home

Work was super fun today- we certified the newbies/ hopefuls and listened to their final mock calls, crying with laughter on some of them- I got to meet the teachers at the education center, and learn the computer systems more.
Pinoy-isms that crack me up: at the end of the conversation, instead of "alright." they say "so there", meaning "it's all said and done".

Also, they say "do you have a paper and pen handy with you?" hee hee.

I'm thrilling my coworker with all my Americanisms- fortunately given that we have to hang out for 9 hours a day we get along swimmingly, even cracking the same joke about the vending machine coffee.
Honestly, I've never met such nice people in my life- they are all so sincerely sweet.
I went to an amazing coffee house called Coffee Academy Annex and spent a hour savoring my coffee and reading magazines this morning- I took a couple pictures so *fingers crossed* soon!-
I'm still startled to realize that my "home" is Asia now- it's so odd to me, after 31 years, but I'm extremely grateful to have this mind opening experience.

I feel oddly at home- I stick out, but for once I'm ok with it. I'm supposed to stick out- and my status as an outsider is valuable. Still the only one of two Anglo women I've seen, though.
Well, I wish you [my mom] were here to see what I see- gorgeous hazy sunsets over palms with mountains in the distance, motorcycles everywhere, Jeepny's roaring by with the back door open, gaudy lights on the hotels, stunning flowers growing in a lushness that beggars the imagination, and the knowledge that there's so much more to see- and I get to see it all from my car with tinted windows with door to door service. I may never come home! But I will eventually, don't worry!

No comments:

Post a Comment